Welcome to our 'mini' bike ride.




We're off again ! This time down to Falmouth in Cornwall. Mary Ann's son Jack is coming to the end of his 3 years at uni down there and we haven't ever seen the house he moved into for his second year ! Sal has to see it too as she is his Godmother and feels the need !
So we are leaving from Putney Bridge on Friday 9th March 2012. This is near the beginning of the UK cycle route 4 which ends in Wales. Actually we are jumping off at Bristol and then heading down to Glastonbury and joining Route 3 which is part of the Lands End to John O'Groats route. We should take 7 or 8 days to do it soooo Welcome to the ride.

Our charity page is still up and running. PLEASE don't feel obligated as we are well passed our target but if you are feeling flush........

Our chosen charity is Cancer Research UK. Anyone wishing to donate please go to:




Friday 16 March 2012

In Cornwall at last

 Since Sal left me in Wookey Hole on wednesday i have slogged up yet more hills. The weather is coolish which is fine by me. (Jelly babies and bananas keep me going)  I have stayed in some delightful places but I think the landlords feel I am fitter than I really am because they keep sending me on the most horrendous detours saying 'You'll love this, its a really fun route' so although i am nearly there, having finally reached Cornwall and have about 53 miles to go, its the Hills ? HILLS ? OMG ! I think i have been up some vertical ones today. Certainly at least 10 of them were more than 12% and they were just the ones that were actually marked. I'm quite sure i didn't come down nearly so many. In Launceston tonight and had a horrible last 4 miles along the new A30. Should have gone on just another mile and got on to the old A30. I think I have now cycled  310 miles. i have met the most amazingly nice and helpful people along the way. it really makes me proud to be British. A lad of about 17 stopped to ask me if i was Ok the day before yesterday ( I was cycling along minding my own business in Street, Somerset) and we got chatting, Before i knew it he had cycled 6 miles with me and got me going on my next stint. At the end he called ME inspirational. Actually i think it was the other way round !

No comments:

Post a Comment